Salary: Grid 12; $20.55/hr. - $23.94/hr.
Location: Surrey, BC
Last Date: 07/12/2018
Date Posted: November 30, 2018
Closing Date: December 7, 2018
Job Number: 1934
Job Title: Community Kitchen Coordinator
Position Type: Regular, Full Time
Hours per week: 35
Schedule varies depending on programming. Some evenings/weekends may be required.
Salary Range: Grid 12; $20.55/hr. – $23.94/hr.
Start Date: ASAP
Reports to: Manager, Volunteer & Community Programs
DIVERSEcity Community Resources Society is a unionized not-for-profit agency, established in 1978. We build and strengthen diverse communities by delivering the broadest range of services that embrace cultural inclusiveness and that celebrate the strengths found in our differences. We value respect, care, resiliency, diversity, leadership at all levels, innovation and trust. The Society employs an estimated 200 staff; 360 contracted interpreters and translators; and 200 volunteers who collaboratively deliver programs and services to support the successful settlement and integration of new immigrants and refugees into the communities of Surrey, North Delta, White Rock and Langley. Please visit www.dcrs.ca.
We are currently recruiting for the role of Community Kitchen Coordinator to join our team in Surrey, BC. The Community Kitchen Program Coordinator is responsible for the planning, delivery, marketing, participant recruitment, and administration of DIVERSEcity’s community kitchen.
The key areas of responsibility are:
- Oversees the day-to-day operation of the Community Kitchen by ensuring that the necessary facilities and equipment are in place, program guidelines & policies are adhered to by program participants, and that program standards & licensing requirements are met;
- Responsible for the budget and purchasing of food and other related supplies for Community Kitchens as stipulated by the Manager;
- Maintains effective communication with the program partners with regards to the continuing operation and maintenance of the kitchens in accordance with the agreed operating agreement;
- Promotes the project through activities such as the distribution of program brochures and posters, local and ethnic media advertising and marketing presentations to community groups or organizations;
- Facilitates community cooking sessions ensuring that all participants learn kitchen skills while responding to the specific needs of our client groups;
- Identifies potential barriers to client participation and seeks to implement solutions where appropriate using empowerment as the key principle;
- Applies community development best practices in facilitating the growth of the community kitchen program and the establishment of volunteer roles;
- Liaises with community service providers (such as the Food Action Coalition, Fraser Valley Food Network etc) to coordinate service provision, facilitate referrals to the program and represent the organization or program in external events;
- Maintains related records, statistics and participant feedback to produce reports for funders as well as the agency;
- Liaises with other DIVERSEcity staff/volunteers, to support cross-agency programming;
- Liaises with program staff to manage referrals and volunteers that will assist in Community Kitchens.
Qualified candidates will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, nutrition, or related field or education and experience commensurate to the position;
- Food Safe certificate required;
- Recent experience with food preparation within the last year;
- Recent experience working with volunteers and newcomers to Canada;
- Excellent computer and Internet skills (advanced knowledge of MS Office, Excel and other databases);
- Competency with office equipment, procedures, and business communications;
- Professional telephone manners and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work cooperatively within a team, have excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Cross cultural competency and sensitivity to the refugee and immigration experience;
- Strong written and spoken English communication skills;
- An additional language other than English is an asset.
This position requires union membership. A Criminal Record Check is a requirement of employment.
DIVERSEcity is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from women, men, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. We are a community where everyone feels they belong and can achieve their goals.
If you are a self-motivated, individual who enjoys working in a multi-cultural environment, we want to hear from you! Qualified candidates may submit current resume and cover letter via email quoting “1934 – Community Kitchen Coordinator” to Fiona Stevenson at email@example.com
***Current employees of DIVERSEcity must apply via the internal application process and quote “1934 – INTERNAL APPLICANT” in the subject line. Current employees who apply to this posting after the closing date or without identifying as an internal will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply. ***
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.