Salary: Grid 14p; $27.22 - $31.71/hr. Plus applicable preparation time of 0.25 hours per instructional hour
Location: Surrey, BC
Last Date: 15/02/2019
Date Posted: February 6, 2019
Closing Date: February 15,2019
Job Number: 1954
Job Title: Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) Instructor
Position Type: Temporary, Part Time
Hours per week: 12 hours per week
Monday to Thursday 9:00am – 12:00pm
Salary Range: Grid 14p; $27.22 – $31.71/hr.
Plus applicable preparation time of 0.25 hours per instructional hour
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: March 31, 2019 or return of incumbent
Reports to: Manager of Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC)
DIVERSEcity Community Resources Society is a unionized not-for-profit agency, established in 1978. We build and strengthen diverse communities by delivering the broadest range of services that embrace cultural inclusiveness and that celebrate the strengths found in our differences. We value respect, care, resiliency, diversity, leadership at all levels, innovation and trust. The Society employs an estimated 200 staff; 360 contracted interpreters and translators; and 200 volunteers who collaboratively deliver programs and services to support the successful settlement and integration of new immigrants and refugees into the communities of Surrey, North Delta, White Rock and Langley. Please visit www.dcrs.ca.
We are currently recruiting for the role of LINC Instructor to join our team in Surrey, BC. The LINC Instructor is responsible for planning and delivering language instruction to adult students at literacy to advanced levels; including development of curriculum, preparation of teaching materials aligned with PBLA standards, and providing settlement information to students.
The key areas of responsibility are:
- Develop, prepare and deliver lessons which conform to the program curriculum and PBLA;
- Prepare and deliver multi-level, student-centered, lessons;
- General program administration including program record keeping, attendance tracking, maintaining student files & language companions and submitting monthly reports;
- Monitor and record student progress using PBLA;
- Address any student-related concerns, reporting up as required;
- Maintain current knowledge of Adult Education and TESL;
- Maintain knowledge of current settlement trends in the local community;
- Adhere to the policies, procedures and practices of the society.
Qualified candidates will possess:
- Baccalaureate degree from a recognized university;
- TESL certification from a TESL Canada recognized institute or equivalent;
- Minimum 1-year experience in Adult ESL Education; ELSA or LINC experience preferred;
- Demonstrated knowledge of CLBs and PBLA;
- Exceptional written and oral English language communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic group environment.
This position requires union membership. A Criminal Record Check is a requirement of employment.
DIVERSEcity is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from women, men, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. We are a community where everyone feels they belong and can achieve their goals.
If you are a self-motivated, individual who enjoys working in a multi-cultural environment, we want to hear from you! Qualified candidates may submit current resume and cover letter via email quoting “1954 – LINC Instructor” to Karen Alvarez Torres at firstname.lastname@example.org.
***Current employees of DIVERSEcity must apply via the internal application process and quote “1954 – INTERNAL APPLICANT” in the subject line. Current employees who apply to this posting after the closing date or without identifying as an internal will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.