We are currently recruiting for the role of Language Interpreter – Independent Contractor for a freelance position to keep with the demand of growing interpretation services to the Lower Mainland region. Our immediate need is for those who can interpret one or more of the following languages; Punjabi, Turkish, Romanian, Italian, and Cantonese.
We are also accepting applications for the following languages; Amharic, Burmese, Greek, Gujarati, Indonesian, Japanese, Kirundi, Korean, Tigrinya, Tagalog, Oromo/Karen, Laotian, Nepali, Nuer, Oromo, Portuguese, Spanish, Tamil and Cambodian. The key areas of responsibility are:
- Speaking, reading, and writing fluently in ENGLISH and TARGET language;
- Listening to speakers’ words and interpreting statements for audiences;
- Simultaneously interpreting and translating while client speaks;
- Consecutive interpreting during pauses in a speech;
- Providing person to person communication by assisting in the development of a clear and concise dialogue between the client and person(s) needing interpretation by carefully paying attention to what is being communicated in both languages; expressing the thoughts and ideas of others clearly and concisely;
- Maintaining a calm demeanor and bridging cultural gaps by remaining objective and affording both parties the conversational courtesies that is common to both cultures.
- Excellent language and listening skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Maintains a high standard of professional performance;
- Ability to concentrate and think on the spot.
Qualified candidates will possess:
- A high school diploma, Bachelor’s Degree preferred;
- Previous experience in interpretation or a combination of related education and experience;
- Ability to speak English and at least one other language at a fluent level;
- Authorized to work in Canada;
- May specialize in community, court, medical, or other types of interpretation;
- Ability to provide own transportation to attend assignments;
- Comfortable working in Government, Health Care, Legal, and Social Services environments;
- Interpreter will maintain and continuously improve their interpreting skills through professional training or education in the interpretation field.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada and a Criminal Record Check is a requirement of employment.
If you are a self-motivated, individual who enjoys working in a multi-cultural environment, we want to hear from you! Qualified candidates may submit a current resume and cover letter via email quoting “1883 – Language Interpreter” to Harsh Thakkar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DIVERSEcity is one of the largest providers of interpretation services in British Columbia facilitating high quality, accurate and professional interpretation and translation services via a base of over 200 contracted interpreters and translators. We provide consecutive, simultaneous, dubbing/voice-over, and phone interpretation. We specialize in interpreting for conferences, business meetings, depositions, court hearings, presentations and a variety of social service and medical situations.