Salary: Starting wage of $33.00 per hours plus a comprehensive benefits package And defined pension plan (MPP)
Location: Surrey, BC
Job Number: E007
Job Title: Manager of LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers’ to Canada)
Position Type: Exempt Management, Part Time, 28 hours per week
Salary Range: Starting wage of $33.00 per hours plus a comprehensive benefits package And defined pension plan (MPP)
Reports to: Senior Manager, Employment and Language Programs
DIVERSEcity Community Resources Society is a unionized not-for-profit agency, established in 1978. We build and strengthen diverse communities by delivering the broadest range of services that embrace cultural inclusiveness and that celebrate the strengths found in our differences. We value respect, care, resiliency, diversity, leadership at all levels, innovation and trust. The Society employs an estimated 180 staff; 360 contracted interpreters and translators; and 200 volunteers who collaboratively deliver programs and services to support the successful settlement and integration of new immigrants and refugees into the communities of Surrey, North Delta, White Rock and Langley. Please visit www.dcrs.ca.
DIVERSEcity Community Resources Society is actively seeking applications from experienced managers for the position of Manager of LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers’ to Canada) to co-manage the agency’s LINC staff team of approximately 30 staff (instructors, teaching assistants, program assistants, childcare workers and supervisors) together with the other Manager, LINC. Managers are responsible for the effective and efficient delivery and administration of the agency’s LINC programming and childminding centres which operate from two sites.
The ideal candidate will have experience in developing, implementing and managing a variety of English language training programs for all levels of learners. The successful candidate must be able manage multiple priorities and deadlines in a fast-paced environment. Primary responsibilities include overseeing the day-to-day management of operations, staff supervision, financial management, identifying emerging needs, program reporting, ensuring contract deliverables are met, and participating in short term and long range program and organizational planning. Managers ensure that the delivery of programs and services comply with the Collective Agreement, Society policies and procedures, and all contractual obligations.
Qualified candidates will possess:
- A university degree in social science and/or relevant post-secondary training and/or experience that includes literacy or occupation-specific language training programs;
- ESL teaching certificate recognized by TESL Canada;
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in teaching ESL in LINC, ELSA, or other immigrant and refugee serving programs with good working knowledge of CLBs and PBLA;
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in program management and supervising a culturally diverse staff, preferably within an union;
- Experience with budget forecasting and expenditure monitoring;
- Excellent problem solving ability, discretion and judgement in decision making;
- Ability to work independently and collegially in a team environment;
- Ability to manage change, competing priorities simultaneously;
- Strong English language written and oral skills;
- Strong organizational, time management, computer (MS Office) skills;
- Knowledge of federal / provincial programs and alternative funding sources;
- Strong computer literacy skills (MS-Word, Excel, Internet applications);
- Advanced level of cross-cultural competency, knowledge of immigrant communities and settlement issues.
Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- Experience working within a community based non-profit society;
- Experience managing language training programs for immigrants, especially LINC;
- Experience managing childminding or childcare operations;
- Experience with blended and online program delivery models and/or developing or delivering fee-based services;
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends, as needed;
- A Valid BC Driver’s License and access to personal vehicle.
At DIVERSEcity, we are a community where everyone feels they belong and can achieve their goals. If you are a self-motivated, seasoned manager who enjoys working in a multi-cultural environment, we want to hear from you! Qualified candidates may submit current resume and cover letter via email quoting “E007 – Manager of LINC” to Tahzeem Kassam, Chief Operating Officer at email@example.com.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
A Criminal Record Check is a requirement of Employment.