The Better at Home Program provides non-medical services to seniors, who want to live independently in their homes, in their communities, and enjoy a healthy, active lifestyle. A small fee for service may be charged based on client’s self-declared household income.
Many service options are available to support seniors to continue to live independently, including:
- Transportation Services – Screened volunteers use their own vehicles to drive clients to and from their home to various appointments or community events.
- Household Help – Volunteers or contractors help clients with light housekeeping tasks including changing light bulbs, dishes, mowing lawns, floor cleaning and dusting, etc.
- Accompaniment – Volunteers provide accompaniment to seniors for their daily activities, such as taking a walk or completing crosswords.
- Information and Referral – In order to meet the diverse needs of seniors which may not be provided by the Better at Home program, Better at Home staff provide information and referral to community services and supports, as needed and requested by seniors.
- Social Activities –The Better at Home program offers a variety of programs and events to connect seniors clients in their community.
Better at Home services are delivered through contractors or a pool of volunteers who meet DIVERSEcity’s rigorous screening process, including a Criminal Records Check, interview, reference check, and a Driver’s Abstract review. Program volunteers are provided with Program and Society orientation and role specific training and are supervised by Better at Home Program staff.
For program information or to volunteer with Better at Home, please contact the Better at Home Program hotline at 604-507-2266 or via email at email@example.com
Click the Video to find out more about the program.
Better at Home is funded by the Government of BC and managed by the United Way of the Lower Mainland.