Salary: Grid 14; $23.83 – $27.74/hr.
Location: Surrey, BC
Last Date: 07/12/2018
Date Posted: November 30, 2018
Closing Date: December 7, 2018
Job Number: 1933
Job Title: Employment Specialist- Job Developer
Position Type: Temporary, Full Time
Hours per week: 35 hours per week
Salary Range: Grid 14; $23.83 – $27.74/hr.
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: March 31, 2019
Reports to: Manager, Skills Training and Employment Programs
DIVERSEcity Community Resources Society is a unionized not-for-profit agency, established in 1978. We build and strengthen diverse communities by delivering the broadest range of services that embrace cultural inclusiveness and that celebrate the strengths found in our differences. We value respect, care, resiliency, diversity, leadership at all levels, innovation and trust. The Society employs an estimated 200 staff; 360 contracted interpreters and translators; and 200 volunteers who collaboratively deliver programs and services to support the successful settlement and integration of new immigrants and refugees into the communities of Surrey, North Delta, White Rock and Langley. Please visit www.dcrs.ca.
We are currently recruiting for the role of Employment Specialist – Job Developer to join our team in Surrey, BC. The job developer is responsible for various tasks within the Employment Programs that include recruiting, screening, assessing program participants, conducting group information and intake sessions, facilitating workshops, work placement, administrative work associated with the program, organizing youth job fairs and liaising with other Employment Specialists in creating a positive link between DIVERSEcity and the community at large.
The key areas of responsibility are:
- Develop and maintain a network of resources and employer/industry contacts in support of job development activities;
- Matching participants with available suitable employment opportunities, and sourcing suitable job opportunities for specific skilled participants;
- Compile and maintain current Labour market and career information and relevant resources; develop excellent understanding of employer needs as well as of corporate culture and employment-related diversity issues and opportunities;
- Provide career information to help participant gain better understanding of the local industry, qualification requirements, employer expectations etc.;
- Meet placement objectives as outlined in the contract;
- Edit and customize resumes, letters and other correspondence;
- Conduct program promotion to community services, media sources and internal marketing;
- Create marketing materials such as brochures, posters, public service announcements;
- Maintain client files and records according to Society or program accreditation standards;
- Assist in preparation of reports and compile program statistics;
- Attend / assist positive and cooperative team member, attend meetings and participate in Society committees and events as required and /or directed.
Qualified candidates will possess:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Social Services or Human Resources;
- Career Development Practitioner Certificate or 2 years of direct and recent experience in recruitment, placement and /or facilitation as an Employment Counselor;
- Access to Vehicle and valid BC Driver’s License;
- Strong sales and PR skills, excellent verbal and written communication, ability to do cold calling, plus presentation, computer and leadership skills;
- Excellent abilities in program promotion, client recruitment and job placement;
- Experience in facilitating Job Finding Clubs for a diverse group; direct experience working with immigrant communities preferred;
- Excellent knowledge of current local Labour market conditions and resources;
- Knowledge of career resources, training programs, professional/trade associations;
- Experience in Adult Education and Employment programs – curriculum development, assessment and screening skills;
- Experience in community based non-profit organizations;
- Strong computer skills and knowledge (Windows environment, MS Office, Internet applications);
- Possess cross-cultural competency and ability in a second language an asset.
This position requires union membership. A Criminal Record Check is a requirement of employment.
DIVERSEcity is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from women, men, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. We are a community where everyone feels they belong and can achieve their goals.
If you are a self-motivated, individual who enjoys working in a multi-cultural environment, we want to hear from you! Qualified candidates may submit current resume and cover letter via email quoting “1933 – Employment Specialist – Job Developer” to Vandna Joshi at email@example.com.
***Current employees of DIVERSEcity must apply via the internal application process and quote “1933 – INTERNAL APPLICANT” in the subject line. Current employees who apply to this posting after the closing date or without identifying as an internal will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply. ***
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.