Services for Seniors
Helping seniors live healthy and independent lives
Better At Home program in Surrey, BC
The Better at Home Program provides non-medical services to any senior in Surrey, BC, who wants to live independently in their home and community, while enjoying a healthy, active lifestyle.
Many fee-based service options are available to support seniors to continue to live independently, including:
- Transportation services — Screened volunteers use their own vehicles to drive clients to and from their homes to various appointments or community events.
- Household help — Volunteers or contractors help clients with light housekeeping tasks including changing light bulbs, doing dishes, mowing lawns, house cleaning and dusting, etc.
- Accompaniment — Volunteers accompany seniors in their daily activities, such as taking a walk or completing crosswords.
- Information and referral — Better at Home staff can provide information and referrals to community services and supports.
- Social activities — To connect seniors to the community.
Better at Home COVID-19 Response Hub
During the COVID-19 pandemic, some seniors who normally live independently with the help of family and friends are now finding those supports unavailable and may require more community supports to remain connected and engaged.
DIVERSEcity is proud to be one of 24 Better at Home COVID-19 Response Hubs of service in BC, to help any senior aged 65+ in Surrey, BC, with simple day-to-day tasks during this crisis including:
- Grocery shopping
- Check-in calls
- Meal preparation and delivery
- Prescription pickup and drop off
Emergency COVID-19 response services are free of charge to seniors or by donation.
To register for Better at Home services in Surrey, BC, please contact 604-507-2266 or email@example.com. Seniors outside Surrey may register for Better at Home services by calling 2-1-1 or visiting the website: www.bc211.ca.
To volunteer with our Better at Home or other seniors services, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or see current volunteer positions here.
Newcomer Family and Friend Caregiver Support Program
Are you a newcomer caring for a senior (55+) friend or family member? Let’s talk one-on-one about your needs as a family caregiver for a senior. We are here to help:
- Provide information about the care system in Canada
- Connect you with services that help you care for the seniors in your life
- Help you make appointments to access services in the care sector
- Connect you with respite services
- Provide ongoing emotional support
The program also offers:
- Information workshops on caregiving topics such as senior-friendly home modifications, care services, health concerns, legal issues, end-of-life support and non-medical support services
- Skills training workshops including First Aid and Food Safe
- Community kitchen sessions where you’ll learn how to make healthy and budget-friendly meals
- Support groups led by a clinical counsellor (available in English, Punjabi and Mandarin)
For more information, call 778-549-2863 or email email@example.com
Know someone who fits this description?
Make a referral
Active Aging: Staying Active Seniors Social Club (on pause due to COVID-19)
Stay fit and healthy in our program for Punjabi-speaking senior women at Bear Creek Pavilion every Tuesday and Thursday, 9:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. Staff and volunteers will guide you through easy physical exercises like yoga, English conversation, healthy cooking and nutrition classes, and information sessions about seniors services and supports.
Contact the Active Aging program coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.